Monday, March 24, 2014

Backpacking

After taking this Peru trip in the summer I might take another semester or year off from school... gap years are addicting. If I do then I want to invest in a great backpack for Latin America, Europe, you name it. For Peru I'll hike the Colca Canyon for 3 days without (insofar as I know) the assistance of any mules/horses or porters, meaning everything, excluding tents and food, will go into a backpack. For the second and longer trek in Peru (5/6days) we'll have horses and mules to carry our load. I've just gotten in to the backpacking business and am fascinated by all the options, itineraries, etc... A 40L backpack will do just right for Peru, but what if I want to go to Europe for a month by myself? That'll might require some more space, but then again it might not! That's the beauty of backpacking: light is always better. Also, I might want to take a small duffel along with a 40L to Peru, but I kind of want to just pile everything into a backpack to say that I did!

When it comes to retail stores REI does it right. They have a huge selection of Deuter, Osprey, Gregory, you name it. I'm leaning towards a Deuter 40+10, which essentially means that 10 more liters of storage space can be opened up by extending the top of the bag. Here's a picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment