Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Snapshot- Petra, Jordan

Throughout this blog I'll include "snapshots" of different places that do not make sense chronologically.  I'll try to back the picture up with a brief story. Here's my first snapshot- this is of my twin sister Helen riding a donkey in Petra. The tale behind this picture is quite amusing. After taking a boat from Egypt across the Red Sea to Amman, Jordan my family bused out to this famous wonder of the world. Helen and I spent the whole day looking at beautiful dwellings and ancient hints of civilization. We decided to pay a local vendor to give us a donkey ride back. The local vendor sat us both on the donkey and then planted his body on it as well. The poor animal was carrying way too much for its weight. Helen and I took off at a brisk pace- far too brisk for a steady ride back to the bus. Turns out the vendor seemed to be pulling us away from the bus destination- was donkeyman using us as fodder for human trafficking? We were terrified beyond belief. Got off that poor donkey as soon as possible and trekked the rest by foot.

Helen- about 13 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment